This is one of the classics of Hungarian home cooking. Everybody has a unique version, so use the recipe as a path to your preferred flavors. The famous Hungarian chef Karoly Gundel recommend mixing the sour cream with cream (1/2 sour cream, 1/2 cream). This way you achieve extremely creamy chicken paprikas but you lose some of the tanginess.
For 4 portions
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tbs red paprika
- 2-3 lbs/1-1.5 kg chicken pieces, bone-in
- 2 hungarian yellow peppers
- 1 tomato
- 3/4 cup/2 dcl sour cream
- 1 tbs flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the onions, pepper and the tomato. Heat up the oil, add onions, salt and pepper. Saute the onions over low heat. When translucent, add diced peppers and then the tomato.
- When the mixture cooks down, add the paprika, mix well, add the chicken and water. Water should barely cover the chicken.
- Simmer on a low heat until meat is cooked, about 45 – 60min.
- When cooked, remove the chicken. Mix the sour cream and flour together and add to the sauce remaining in the pan. If your sour cream curdles, first add a spoonful or two of the sauce into the sour cream/flour mixture before adding it back into the pan. Stir, replace the chicken into the pan and cook very gently for another 5 min.
- Serve with nokedli (you can use prepared gnocchi) or good fresh bread.