This is one way Hungarians use cabbage with sugar. The other famous dish is cabbage strudel. Despite the fact that you use sugar in the meal, it is a main course. The combination of cabbage, sweetening, pasta and black pepper might seem weird, but it works together pretty well. Thumbs up for the imagination of the inventor of this dish.
Cabbage and Pasta Squares
We don’t have a grater or food processor, so I used a good old knife and chopped the cabbage as finely as I could. While the meal looks a bit “rustic” it did not lose anything in quality. If you can’t find pasta squares you could make them by breaking up a lasagna sheet or tagliatelle.
Makes 4 portions
- 2 lbs of grated cabbage
- 1 lb pasta squares
- 3 tbs sugar
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Grate the cabbage, salt it and let it sit for at least 30min
- Heat up the oil in a pan and add the sugar. Caramelize it.
- Squeeze the juices from the cabbage and start to fry it. Add the pepper.
- While frying the cabbage cook the pasta
- Once the cabbage is brown you can add the cooked pasta. Fry it for another 3-4 min.